Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When I Thought Myself a Rebel, 3/1/2011

I was at the University of Georgia in 1967, when I participated in my first sit in. Under Students for a Democratic Society leadership, we took over the administration building. We didn't know what to do with it, but that was beside the point. I participated for somewhat conflicting reasons. I believed that female students should have the same rights as male students and the SDS women did not wear bras. I was 18.
Later that year I roomed with Babs and Mike, an absolutely wonderful hippy couple. We all went to Atlanta to protest the pararde for the premiere of John Wayne's "Green Beret." It was mild pandemonium with much repetitious rhetoric, the main point being made that war is bad.
In retrospect, that was a time for all night talks about the things we believed in. A time for dramatic gestures to let other people know, and to assure ourselves, that our opinions were important. We went through a slow change from the Supremes and the Beachboys to Dylan and Baez. Later, we would find there was a time for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment