Sunday, December 26, 2010

Guard Duty

It must have been in August. I know I was a short timer, due to go back to the states in September. Most of my friends had left and I didn't want to know any of the new guys. I had just turned 21 and these guys seemed so young.
My R&R had been a month or so back. I went to Taipei for a week of rented hell raising, rented girls and marveling at clean water, showers and sleeping for more than a two hour stretch.
Near my post, two guys were talking, comparing R&R visits to Bangkok. One guy could not stop talking about the bar girl with whom he had spent his 6 days.
"She told me I was different. She told me she'd wait for me to come back. She told me we could open up a little shop. I'm going back. We're gonna open a camera shop."
That was one of the saddest things I heard during that sad year.

No comments:

Post a Comment